seriouslyreadabook

Peter Swanson
Data Points: Visualization That Means Something
Nathan Yau
James Buchanan
Jean H. Baker, Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr.

Fool

Fool LP: A Novel - Christopher Moore

I'm gonna go ahead and co-opt a term Dan used in his review of this bawdy book, and call it simply Moore-gasmic

Fuckstockings! is just one of the many expletives and/or insults that spew forth from the mouth of King Lear's fool, Pocket, that I'm hoping to sneak into my everyday vocabulary. Twatgoblin and chunder-monkey (used to refer to the King's bulimic royal taster) will definitely be making appearances as well. I'm not sure how much use I'll have for boffnacity, but I'll give you Pocket's helpful footnote just in case.

Boffnacity—an expression of shagnatiousness, fit. From the Latin boffusnatious.

Between Pocket's repertoire for off-color songs (including the "solemn ballad, Dragon Spooge Befouled My Bonny Bonny Lass and the upbeat shanty, Alehouse Lilly - She’ll Bonk You Silly") and his use of his puppet (and sometimes weapon), Jones, I couldn't help but be reminded of Gob and Franklin (and, obviously, Buster's Franklin highjacking as well).

Buster and Franklin

Christopher Moore's humor is of a specific breed that can't quite be described, but that leaves me literally (I'm using the term correctly) LOLing. I didn't enjoy this one quite so much as I did Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal (one of my favorite books of all time), but that's likely due to my unfamiliarity with King Lear