seriouslyreadabook

Peter Swanson
Data Points: Visualization That Means Something
Nathan Yau
James Buchanan
Jean H. Baker, Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr.

The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 1: Science, Bad

The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 1: Science, Bad - Jonathan Hickman, Nick Pitarra

This book combines a whole boat load of the things that fascinate me most: legendary scientists, America's relationship with Nazi's post WWII, and some seriously amazing art- so this was a great recommendation (thanks Kemper). The first half of this was five stars all the way for me, but by the time aliens entered the scene, I was pretty confused.

As if the reality of of The Manhattan Project wasn't already devious enough, Hickman introduces us to the lesser-known, more nefarious experiments going on, as well as Robert Oppenheimer's twin, Joseph. And, not to give too much away, but if ever there were a man to contain multitudes, it would be Dr. Oppenheimer.
Manhattan Projects Oppenheimer

The art work is incredible, at times resembling something fromWhere's Waldo? , and at others the level of detail seems more akin to a diagram from a technical manual.
Manhattan Projects
The Manhattan Projects  Einstein

Oh, and also, this image cracked me up as it occurred to me that it looked like some twisted nightmare of being asked on a date by Hitler.
Manhattan Projects Hitler

Bonus Archer Reference:

Cyril Figgis: Kreiger’s father was a nazi scientist!
Malory Archer: And JFK’s father was a bootlegger.
Cyril: That’s like comparing apples to… nazi oranges!
Malory: Oranges, exactly! Do you like powdered orange breakfast drink?
Cyril: No. Not Really.
Malory: How about Microwave ovens, Neil Armstrong, hook and loop fasteners?
Cyril: Ok, you lost me…
Malory: None of those things would have been possible without the nazi scientists we brought back after World War Two.
Cyril: The nazis invented Neil Armstrong?
Malory: Rockets! Which put him on the moon. After the war ended, we were snatching up kraut scientists like hot cakes. You don’t believe me? walk into NASA sometime and yell “Heil Hitler” WOOP they all jump straight up!