seriouslyreadabook

Peter Swanson
Data Points: Visualization That Means Something
Nathan Yau
James Buchanan
Jean H. Baker, Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr.

A Stab In The Dark (Matthew Scudder #4)

A Stab in the Dark - Lawrence Block

I was in kind of a cranky mood when I began this installment of my adventures with Matthew Scudder- in one of those nitpicky modes where anything that can annoy you will do so. I even got so far as starting on a bit of a tirade regarding the use of an icepick as a murder weapon (see below). But, this is what makes Lawrence Block such a stud of an author- if I had just been patient, I would have saved myself from my own ramblings re. the dangerous weapon of choice, as Scudder, too, takes issue with the instrument of choice.

This isn’t much in the way of a review, but, for me, it says quite a lot when I can enjoy a story in spite of myself. Block’s answers to the question of “who dunnit?” are never so simple that they feel predictable, and this time was no exception.

Also, in case anyone else isn’t up on their street knife knowledge, here were my animated findings as per gravity and/or butterfly knives:

A Murderous Query: I have a lot of questions vis-à-vis the (literary) use of icepicks as murder weapons. What kind of icepicks are we talking about? Like the really long needle kind? I’ve gone ice climbing (though not very well) and I get where an ice axe would make a useful murder weapon (though difficult to conceal), and I’ve used an ice chipper, which would be a pretty terrible murder weapon since you’d have to contend with several dermal layers (hard to scrape someone to death). So, are we just talking the long needley kind that look like awls? Does one use a hammer as a driver, because I feel like it’d be hard to get the necessary momentum going for a really good puncture wound just by hanging on to that wooden grip? You might just inadvertently perform a transorbital lobotomy which, while destructive, might not suit your needs. Why not just use a meat thermometer? If there are any icepick assassins out there, please respond at your nearest convenience as this has been troubling me for some time.