seriouslyreadabook

Peter Swanson
Data Points: Visualization That Means Something
Nathan Yau
James Buchanan
Jean H. Baker, Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr.

Surviving Off Off-Grid: Decolonizing the Industrial Mind

Surviving Off Off-Grid: Decolonizing the Industrial Mind - Michael Bunker It's all fun and games until someone starts quoting the Bible... Ok, so I'm not "anti Bible-quoting" per se, it's just definitely not what I was hoping for from this book. I was even pretty interested in some of the philosophy underlying why one might want to shift to on "off-grid" lifestyle (the double negative kind of killed me):

"The advent of specialization fractured the mind and caused man to focus on pieces of the puzzle instead of the whole picture. The urbanite doesn't allow himself to be concerned with whether or not the grocer has food or the peddler has supplies because during good times those things are not his concern...Everything has its compartment, and most things are someone else's business" (p.17).

But, really I was hoping for a how-to survival book, the kind that teaches you tactics you'll probably never need, but are just kind of fun to know and/or put to use when headed off the grid for a spell. I wanted more manual than manifesto, and that is definitely not what I got. Perhaps I should have given the subtitle a once over before diving in.