seriouslyreadabook

Peter Swanson
Data Points: Visualization That Means Something
Nathan Yau
James Buchanan
Jean H. Baker, Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr.

Horns of Honor: Regaining the Spirit of the Pagan Horned God

Horns of Honor: Regaining the Spirit of the Pagan Horned God - Fredrick Thomas Elworthy, Raven Grimassi I am by no means a horn-ologist (which I'm pretty sure isn't a word), nor am I a a scholar of Modern Paganism. However, I am someone who enjoys learning about the evolution of symbols and ideas in culture (semiotics?) and, for that reason, found this book to be very interesting. That being said, it did feel "academic" at times, but I add that not as a criticism, but, more a note on what one should expect from this book.

It's very difficult to give this book just one rating as it's a re-issue of Fredrick Thomas Elworthy's 1900 book, but with an introduction and helpful commentary from the editor, Raven Grimassi. Unsurprisingly, Grimassi's introduction and commentary were much more accessible.

Going into reading this, my understanding of the significance of horns in art was largely informed by a ninth-grade trip to see the Lady and the Unicorn tapestries in France and learned all about what Grimassi refers to as "the horn and its association with sexual freedom" (very racy stuff for a ninth grader). Now I realize, however, that horns in all of their symbolic glory are kind of everywhere. (My favorite example, not given in the book, being the Spirit of the Forest in Princess Mononoke).

The "White Stag" and its symbolic relationship to honor and power is just one of countless examples of the pre-scandalized horn (think the devil, Pan, horn-y). I won't try to summarize the symbolic evolution- for that the book is very much worth reading.

I read this through the Goodreads Giveaway First Reads program.