seriouslyreadabook

Peter Swanson
Data Points: Visualization That Means Something
Nathan Yau
James Buchanan
Jean H. Baker, Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr.

The Midwich Cuckoos

The Midwich Cuckoos - John Wyndham

Three and a half stars, I rounded down because I feel like I've been getting a little four-star-happy of late.

Gotta give some serious props to Dan for recommending this to me upon my proclamation that I find few things scarier than powerful children en masse. If that's your thing, then this is the book for you. Seriously, just look at some of the covers this book has had...kids are creepy!

As someone who has been perpetually unclear on the difference between a baby and a parasite (ok, biological imperatives, whatever) this whole "host mother" scenario really strikes at the core of my very unmaternal fears. What made this book more "creepy" than "scary" for me were the (very appropriate) comparisons to the ruthless nature of interspecies competition in nature. (No one's stoked when a grizzly bear slashes a hiker that got to close to its babies, but they also don't attempt to try the grizzly with Murder Two in a court of law.)

However, if there's one thing that's clear, it's that our legal system is ill-equipped to deal with a Midwich scenario. And yes, I'm a total nerd, and found that to be a most-compelling thought exercise throughout this book. Even the best of criminal prosecutors would struggle with the actus reus when mind control is at hand.

One last wild card element for me lay in the fact that a central locale in the story is called The Grange. We all know how important dread music is to any good horror flick, and it was hard to get totally lost in the story with ZZ Top's La Grange looping in my head. Nonetheless, a fun short read, and definitely one to recommend to any expectant mothers.