seriouslyreadabook

Peter Swanson
Data Points: Visualization That Means Something
Nathan Yau
James Buchanan
Jean H. Baker, Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr.

Revival

Revival - Stephen King

Having just extolled the wonders of electricity seen throughout decades science in my review of AC/DC: The Savage Tale of the First Standards War, I'll keep this review light on history lessons. However, there is one parallel that bears mentioning—the notion that electricity (in both fact and fiction) lies at the very core of what it means for something to be alive! As one of my favorite mad scientists once said:

Human Body Potato Clock

Mary Shelley was, at the very least, aware of (if not inspired by) the late 18th-century scientist, Louis Galvani's, experiments with “animal electricity” when she penned Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus in 1818. From there, it would take another 80 years or so before the defibrillator turned up in its most basic form. Even in modern wilderness medicine, lightning remains the perpetual wild card.

Archer Space Race Defibrillator

Now, just imagine if there was a new kind of electricity, a secret electricity– one that a god-fearing person might refer to as some sort of Holy Voltage. Well, suffice it to say that quite a bit can happen.

Krieger Ant Irradiation

How did Revival stack up?

It's possible that my recent reading of Pet Sematary influenced how similar the two seemed to me at times. It's no Shining, or Misery (both of which I loved), but, as per usual, King grabs a hold of me quickly and doesn't let go until I've read every page. All in all, a solid 3.5/5 star performance.

It also didn't hurt that, those in need of healing included a downtrodden smackhound,

Woodhouse Smackhound

and a musician suffering from (among other things) that irascible affliction– tinnitus!

Archer Tinnitus

Of course, what keeps you guessing is the foreboding knowledge that the other shoe is bound to drop…every miracle comes at a price.

Cheryl Tunt bugs out

Some Biblio-Sommelier Recommendations:

‘Twas not by conscious design that I began reading Revival while finishing the last few chapters of AC/DC: The Savage Tale of the First Standards War—but the two made quite the electrifying pair! Actually, I wouldn't hesitate to put The Age of Wonder: How the Romantic Generation Discovered the Beauty and Terror of Science on the menu (another on my list of recently reads) if you're up for a literary ménage à trois…just some food for thought!