seriouslyreadabook

Peter Swanson
Data Points: Visualization That Means Something
Nathan Yau
James Buchanan
Jean H. Baker, Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr.

The Sins of the Fathers

The Sins of the Fathers - Lawrence Block If you're entering the world of Matthew Scudder, you better brace yourself for some dark and delicious detective work. I don't know why I keep wanting to use adjectives normally reserved for coffee blends to describe this book. I'm pretty sure evenly-roasted isn't a term intended for literary review, but this story (and Scudder himself) just hit every note I never knew I needed for a supremely satisfying read.

Scudder is neither hero nor villain; he goes by his own rules and defies what might be considered conventional morality while sifting through a world where it's hard to starkly delineate right from wrong. I wanted this book to last me more than a day, but, like Matt, I felt compelled to keep on digging.

I don't know how to deal with spoiler-y material from a tablet, so I'll just say that the tale is slightly more twisted than (what I imagine) you might find in your average 70s noir. So if you're looking for straight-up mystery without that extra level of peering at some of humanity's less-desirable traits, I might look elsewhere. Otherwise, grab your coffee and bourbon and go for it.