seriouslyreadabook

Peter Swanson
Data Points: Visualization That Means Something
Nathan Yau
James Buchanan
Jean H. Baker, Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr.

The Killer Inside Me

The Killer Inside Me - Jim Thompson

I've read what some may consider to be a creepy number of non-fiction books on sociopathy (The Sociopath Next DoorSnakes in Suits: When Psychopaths Go to WorkThe Mask of Sanity). All of them attempt to offer insight into the heads of these individuals among us who exist without conscience, and adeptly "play human." Many of them (especially The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence by Gavin de Becker - which rumor has it Oprah recommended) try to aid the average, non-sociopathic Joe in identifying and avoiding such individuals. The crux of the advice being that there's just this kind of gut feeling that you ought to go with. Jim Thompson, however, lets you climb into the brain of your neighborhood sociopath and does so in a way that is just so satisfying.

Lou Ford, deputy sheriff and creep extraordinaire is playing a game with the world around him.

That’s what I was going to be; I was going to have to live and get along with rubes. I wasn’t ever going to have anything but some safe, small job, and I’d have to act accordingly.

He bores people with platitudes just to watch them squirm, and (maybe I shouldn't be admitting this) I couldn't help but laugh with him as he did so. This book is a heaping spoonful of sick satisfaction...and I loved it.